Saturday, July 21, 2018

New Resolve

I think this is day 74 or maybe it’s 75. I’ll confess, I’ve really failed at the program over the last week. Luckily, even though there aren’t do overs, there are restarts.  And I think I begin again not only with new determination but with new healthy information. I’ll be telling you more in the next few days but this really reminds me of my first efforts rebuilding my health and life thirty two years ago after I’d crashed and burned. I’m beginning to think an addiction to unhealthy food and habits is like any other, you often have to hit rock bottom to really be motivated to change.  

All of us living in our fifth, sixth or more decade are aware that our health and bodies are more vulnerable. After the scare of nearly losing my friend this week and learning that she, like me and most of us, was reluctant to go to the ER when she got sick, I’ve realized that we have to be especially diligent and not hesitate even if we think there may be a simple explanation for our problem. She was told that five minutes more and she would have died. Now, she’s on the road to recovery and hopefully coming home next week. So listen more carefully to your body. I know we’re all guilty of this but don’t second guess or self diagnose. Also, from my own experience, don’t wait to get an appointment with your doc; head to the ER. Those doctors are trained to spot trouble quickly and that could save your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...