Thursday, November 8, 2018

Day 157 & Day 16 on Keto

I think my pep may be back.  I lost it for awhile when we overdid it on our hike last Sunday. I honestly thought a hike called Meadow Loop would be easy but its 4 miles (once you add in the additional trail loop we took) were mostly uphill. My husband, Steve, commented that the hardest part was actually the Meadow itself which was a constant upward incline.  For me, I think the hardest part was that last climb up to meet the Ridge Trail. It was steep and relentless.  I thought it would never end. My muscles were quivering and screaming, “What are you doing to us?!” I realized it would take me a day or two to recover but it’s now four days later and I’m just starting to feel my strength again. It has taken effort just to walk the quarter mile to feed my horses and the walk back is even harder. And any incline? Oh, my! I feel weak as a new born pup.  So, I’ve once again been taught the lesson that slow and steady wins the race and I’m hoping it sticks this time. 


The good news is, my weight is finally back down to the before hike number, I’m gradually starting to exercise again and I’m regaining my energy. So, I think I’m still on track. The sad news, I’m actually growing tired of bacon! I never thought that would happen. I guess you really can have too much of a good thing.....????


I’ve said before that I won’t venture into politics on this forum even though, it has been a huge part of our lives lately. But I do want to say something about staying true to yourself and your beliefs. My sister and I are polar opposites where politics are concerned. I’ve always known this but it was like other differences we have, I love her so I accept her beliefs and opinions and her right to have them. So, I kept my mouth shut while she talked and never argued or expressed my own thoughts. Then a few days ago, a mutual friend posted an endorsement of a candidate I supported on FB. I commented about my support and my sister responded with shock and dismay. I responded gently that yes, those were my political views but I respected her choices and opinions and would not attempt to push my views on her or disagree with hers because I loved her. She thanked me for that but went on to state that she could never agree with me. And, I haven’t heard from her since except for a short message of two words on my birthday.  Yes, I do hate this seems to have erected a wall between us but I don’t regretting finally letting her know how I feel. Actually, the admission was freeing.  And I’ve learned to express myself in a way that is gentle and thoughtful of the other person but still honest. I’ve been having a discussion with someone of opposing views for the last few days. I’ve seen so much ugliness on FB and every where concerning politics. People turn to name calling and quoting scripture out of context and otherwise making the holder of the opposing view feel belittled, stupid and even sinful. There is no discussion, only screaming and compassion and understanding seem to have hopped a freight and left the country.  Where my sister is concerned however, I don’t want to discuss politics. It seems we are both firm in our opposing beliefs and no amount of discussion will change that. But I also want her to respect the boundaries and differences in our relationship. You don’t have to always agree with someone to love them. Honesty does not always bring harmony but we each deserve to be be loved and accepted for who we are. 


All of that being said, I came across an article this morning that expressed exactly how I’ve been feeling: “It is our respect for the fact that our lives exist independently of the lives of others that allows us to set emotional and physical boundaries, to explore our interests and capabilities even when people close to us do not understand our partialities, and to agree to disagree. Maintaining healthy barriers is a matter of recognizing the point at which our principles and those of our loved ones and peers no longer overlap. 


Human beings must relentlessly fight the temptation to follow the crowd. Naturally, we want to be liked, accepted, and admired, and it often seems that the easiest way to win approval is to ally ourselves with others. When we assume that our standards are the same as those of the people close to us without first examining our own intentions, we do ourselves a disservice. The barriers that exist between us are a reminder that our paths in life will be unique, and we must each accept that "I" and "we" can coexist peacefully. Our reactions, our likes and dislikes, our loves, our goals, and our dreams may or may not align with those of others, but we should neither ask others to embrace what we hold dear nor feel compelled to embrace what they hold dear. “

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...