Saturday, August 11, 2018

When I was young, I thought nostalgia was a good thing. As kids, my siblings and I were always asking Mama about “the good old days.”  Now, when I think back to simpler, happier times, I feel a pain that’s almost grief like. Sure we had problems then but they were small and easily dismissed because we thought we had our whole lives to fix them. We were still excited about life and our futures and anything seemed possible. It seems that the last six years of my life have been more about endings than beginnings. It’s a time in life when you have to face consequences because they are upon us. We look back not only with nostalgia but asking ourselves those questions, why didn’t I (exercise more and eat less, save more money, ever start a family, spend more time with someone who’s now gone, take that trip, go back to school, fix that when it broke, take that chance)?  Part of maturing is realizing and ACCEPTING that some things can’t be changed and then, letting go. I think I would accomplish more now if I could stop looking back with nostalgia. I also think that some of those regrets, those “why didn’t I?s” can be corrected now. It’s a lot like the Serenity prayer, God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...