Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Day 47 Update

I’m really surprised at how good I feel after eating a healthy diet for just two days but I shouldn’t be. Let me tell you all a story. In my twenties, I worked out from time to time but I never really had a problem with my weight. Then, at twenty-nine, I had a miscarriage. I was so depressed afterwards that I comforted myself with food. This was a habit that I developed at an early age. In the third grade, we had a teacher that terrorized every student in her class. Honestly, this woman should never have been allowed within a hundred feet of a child. I kept this to myself but my sweet mama could tell something was wrong. So, she started having a hot meal prepared and waiting on me as soon as I got home from school. I think those meals were the only reason I survived that school year. Those meals were in addition to our family dinners and they were all mine. So, some people stop eating when they are sad and stressed but not me. I put on a lot of weight over that next year after the miscarriage and then, I became determined to lose it. I just didn’t know where to start. I’d seen ads for weight loss pills in the back of magazines. I ordered some.  One dose and I knew these weren’t for me.  They were basically speed and they didn’t just make me hyper, they made my heart beat so hard and fast that it felt like it might burst out of my chest. As soon as I felt it was safe to drive, I went directly to the grocery store where I purchased lots of vegetables, fruit and lean protein. I started educating myself on nutrition, keeping a diary of what I was eating and I almost instantly felt better and experienced a natural surge in energy, not a scary, artificial one. With that new energy, I not only started working out, I enjoyed it. It was easy to make all of those healthy changes because I had gotten an instant pay back. It took months to lose the weight but that early feeling of well being kept me motivated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...