Saturday, December 29, 2018

What’s for dinner? New York Steak casserole. 
When I was in my twenties, there weren’t very many restaurants in Loudon or the small towns around us but what we had were excellent. 
There was Den Wilson’s Cafe that had amazing chili and a creation caused a chili bun that we would buy by the bag full. Just thinking about those makes my mouth water. 
There was Bill Lowe’s Grill which was run by the nicest family, Bill, Nina and their five beautiful daughters. Bill’s was almost as famous for its always loaded juke box as it was for the juiciest, best tasting hamburger, I’d be happy to wager, was the best in the world and there was Carl’s Drive-in which still exists and still stays packed with loyal, local fans. In the eighties in nearby Sweetwater, there was a little sandwich shop that was owned and operated by a man who hailed from New York City and he made the most delicious New York Steak (also known as a cheese steak) sandwich you would ever acquaint your tastebuds with. Not long before he closed because of illness, I stopped in to pick up a couple of steak sandwiches. He was getting ready to close because his egg was very sick but he told me he would be happy to make my sandwiches and he invited me behind the counter to watch. That’s how I discovered his secret ingredient, Cavender’s Greek Seasoning and mozzarella cheese. He swore me to secrecy but since that was nearly forty years ago, I’d imagine the statute of limitations is up on that one. So here is my Keto friendly, New York Steak. 
Follow the photos and then bake in the oven at 375 degrees, stirring once when the cream cheese melts.











No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...