Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Day 47:

I’m feeling much better today. I still plan on having blood tests done next week (first available appointment.) I also realize from yesterday that how I feel physically can yo-yo drastically throughout the day. 

Yesterday, I met with my therapist. I told her that despite feeling so physically bad for the last three weeks, I feel like I’ve made tremendous progress this past month and most of that is due to this diary. Writing down my thoughts, problems and progress not only makes me accountable but also helps me to work it problems and discover solutions. It also helps to keep me focused. The habits I’m trying to establish have already had a positive effect just a week in. By focusing on drinking more water and eating a good, high protein breakfast, my attention to the rest of my diet has intensified. Yesterday, I wasn’t feeling well after my therapist; heck, I wasn’t feeling well before or during but I pushed myself. I went to Costco when I was greatly tempted to go home and lie down. I went with the intention of just getting a few things but ended up filling my buggy up with healthy food: chicken breasts, squash, celery, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, turkey, apples, lemons, watermelon, avocados. Someone looked at my cart and said,”You must be a good cook.” I answered,”Not really but I’m trying to eat healthier and just hope I’m not going to be throwing most of this out in two weeks.” I was joking but that has been my pattern in the past. I have good intentions but lousy follow through. I’m determined that this time will be different. When I got home, I unloaded the perishables first. Then I immediately divided all of those chicken breasts (24 of them!) into meal sized packs and froze what I wasn’t going to use immediately. Last night, I roasted four of them(so Steve and I both have one for lunch today. I also sliced up two of the squash and one of the peppers with onion and garlic and roasted them also. Then I made a salad with the lettuce, cucumber, walnuts and Parmesan cheese. I splurged a bit on dessert. I washed and sliced all of the strawberries and served them with sweetened cream cheese on puff pastry. That was an indulgence but a satisfying one. Today, I started my day with 16 ounces of water and then a breakfast of two boiled eggs, whole grain toast and coffee.  After I feed the horses and walk the dog, I will boil more eggs in the InstaPot and wash and slice all of the celery. My neighbor Ginny generously shared the fresh eggs with me. Fresh eggs are so delicious but when boiled are so hard to peel. Surprisingly, they not only turn out perfectly when cooked in the InstaPot but the shell almost slides off. I’ve read some recipes that say 5 minutes on high pressure but I’ve found that 6 minutes works best with my pot. Then you quick release and immediately put the eggs into a bowl of ice water....perfection! So, this day is off to a good start. I still have a long way to go to achieve all of my healthy living goals but as my therapist, Tamala, told me yesterday, small changes are the ones that lead to permanent change. I feel good because I know I’m headed in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...