Friday, June 1, 2018

Day 29

Although I would like to lose weight and get into better shape, those weren't the only motivation for starting this blog. The idea was to not only bring balance to my life but to live each day with purpose and fully. Balance is something I've strived for most of my life but never quite achieved. It seems that when most of my life is going well, I'm fit, active, successfully working and being creative, there is still some facet that is totally off the board. Maybe complete balance and contentment is an impossible dream. I remember a friend who had just reached middle age (Which of course is much younger than I am now unless I expect to live to 124.) saying to me, I thought we'd have our act together by now. Well, I've been waiting to get my act together for 62 years...well, maybe 42 years because up until 20, most of us think we have it all together. I'm still not there but still trying and striving forward. And I guess that's all I can ask of myself and my life, to keep trying to improve, to keep trying to make myself better each day. And that is where the purpose comes in. Yesterday, I accomplished quite a bit on the house but I also broke a bad habit. I can be a hermit (and enjoy it) if I don't keep an eye on myself. The thing is, once I force myself out the door, I usually enjoy myself tremendously. Last night, we went out to dinner with three young, outstanding women. We went to our favorite local restaurant, Taco Loco, where they always make us feel like family. And speaking of family, who did I see as we walked in the door, my niece, Kim enjoying dinner with her great group of friends. I'm so proud of her because she does this on a regular basis now. They go to various exercise classes and then meet for a meal and lots of fun and laughter. It seems like, unlike me, she has her life together, she has found her balance. I'm so proud of her. And I'm proud of me for venturing out because I did have a wonderful time and being with people who make you laugh and have fun while eating wonderful food at a great restaurant, that is good for your spirit and certainly pushes you a little closer to that elusive balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 27, 2021 Medical friends, a question. I know I’m an impatient patient but where should I be 18 days post surgery? I’ve done more t...